We had a GREAT breakfast last week on Instagram. Judi Cutrone and Sue B. Zimmerman taught us so much about how businesses can use Instagram in their marketing. One of the biggest takeaways, was that Instagram is a way for your brand to share moments with the world but… also for your customers to share their moments with your brand to their followers.
I think one of the biggest hurdles is getting started. One of the obstacles to getting started, is coming up with ideas of what to do. I think we learn well from our neighbors, so I thought I would list some of my favorite local business Instagram accounts. Maybe you can get some ideas for your business!
- Rancourt & Co. – Makers of fine, handcrafted shoes right here in Maine. Their Instagram account is not about selling shoes but about selling a lifestyle. Kyle Rancourt spoke at a previous breakfast and did talk about Instagram and how he uses it and LOVES it.
- The Ropes Maine – Beautiful handmade bracelets and necklaces that just ooze Maine. Like Rancourt & Co., The Ropes Maine shows you the experience of Maine and fashion. I also like that she posts inspirational quotes and gives you a sneak peek into her life as a business owner.
- L.L. Bean – Beans always does a good job selling the experience of Maine. Their Instagram bio actually says it even better ‘Photos inspired by our love of the outdoors and the great state of Maine.’ Not only do they do the brand experience and the inspirational quotes… but they also do a good job reposting other people’s posts that include their brand. Bonus points for the number of dog and puppy photos too.
- Might & Main – For a B2B example, we needed to talk about our friends at Might & Main. When you aren’t selling a product, Instagram can seem a bit more challenging, but it doesn’t have to be. Like the others, you are sharing the experience of a brand. Does your product make people’s life easier? Show them enjoying their free time? Are you a design firm? Show your work or… have a Real Italian food fight! Have fun with it. Let people get a behind the scenes look at your business.
- Haberdashery – Our friends at Others Fair Trade Coffee told us about the Haberdashery. I can’t think of a better business for Instagram than a thrif shop. One of a kind items, with no replenishment. It is genius. New items come in and The Haberdashery puts it on Instagram. Sometimes they style it or put together an outfit. The rumor is people go running to get there to buy the items. Smart.
There you go! There are some of my favorite local Instagram accounts. I hope that helps give you some ideas.
Do you have a business account you think we should follow? Share it with us in the comments!